Chapel Hill

Chapel Hill

The suburb of Chapel Hill can be found at about 7 kilometres west of the Central Business District of Brisbane.  Being a rural-residential suburb, this area is found with mostly detached housing.  Set to be a green suburb, old eucalyptus and native plants are in abundance in this particular suburb.  Its name was actually given by the farmers who built a church in Moggill Road in 1873.  

Chapel Hill presented itself as a peaceful suburb, with the relaxing vibe which many families would love to have.  Today however, a major suburban renovation is taking place with several of its ‘old’ houses and structures being updated to keep up with the modern lifestyles which Aussies nowadays somehow prefer more.    


As per the 2011 census conducted for the suburb of Chapel Hill, the total population is 10,168.  The median age for its resident is about 3 years above that of the average Australian making it 40 years old.  51.3% of the total population are females and the remaining 48.7% are males.   

  • Income ($/weekly): A single person who lives in Chapel Hill can have a median income of $785 in a week’s time.  Households on the other hand can have a weekly median income of $2,329.  
  • Employment: The suburb comes with an unemployment rate of 4.2% only.  Workers in this area comprise of the 58.0% who works full time and 33.3% who works on a part time basis.    
  • Lifestyles and People (Top 5):  If it was the lifestyles of the populace that is to be considered, result would be Older Couples & Families (28.3%); Established Couples & Families (17.9%); Maturing Couples & Families (10.3%); Older Independence (10.2%); Elderly Couples (8.8%).   


This suburb is served by quite a number of bus routes, specifically 425, 426, 427 and 428.  Access to and through this suburb is not tough as Moggill Road serves as a major road connecting it to the neighbouring suburb Indooroopilly by its east side and the suburb of Kenmore by its west.  The Western Freeway and the Legacy Way Tunnel are at the same time there to give access to other areas for commuter-residents of Chapel Hill.

Chapel Hill is quite friendly for the cycling crowd as it is well serviced with bikeway paths.  There is easy access to the CBD because of the Coronation Drive Bikeway, Centenary Bikeway and Sylvan Road Bike Path.  


There is but one state primary school serving the local residents of this suburb and that is the Chapel Hill State School.  It initially opened in 1872 in Ironbark Road.  The state school students go to today however is the one which opened in January 1978.  It stretches out to a total of 6.8 hectares of land which the Queensland Government was able to acquire.  It became second home to 152 enrollees when it opened.

Families however can also send their kids to other educational institutions, public and private, found in neighbouring suburbs like Indooroopilly and Kenmore.  The university it is nearest to is the University of Queensland, posing a great option for the students aiming for higher education.   


Chapel Hill may be without a major shopping centre but it does have two small ones which families in this suburb enjoy going to.  Also, the Indooroopilly Shopping Centre is only 5 minutes away from the suburb making it highly accessible should anyone need major shopping.  

The chapel on the hill (from which the suburb got its name) was originally a Primitive Methodist chapel but today it is the Chapel Hill Uniting Church, the only church found in this suburb.  Many events are held in its church hall.  Other than local events, residents are kept on their toes by outdoor activities made possible by the near proximity of Mount Coot-tha and the Green Hill Reservoir.