The leafy inner Western suburb of Auchenflower is but 3 kilometres from the CBD of Brisbane and this scenic place proves to be popular for those who want everything close by.  Its name is Gaelic for ‘a field of flowers’ and it is a beauty to behold as several homes are still reminder of the 19th century Queenslander life.  

Auchenflower is walking distance from the famous XXXX Brewery and the famous Suncorp Stadium and Park Road at Milton.  To live in Auchenflower also means that you are close by the second CBD of Brisbane which is Toowong as well as St. Lucia’s University of Queensland.  This pretty much explains it why people love living in this suburb as you can easily find what you need from day to day.  It is even noted to be very keen with keeping up with its neighbouring higher profile suburbs so you can expect a more-than-the-average kind of living here.


The population in Auchenflower is about 5,352 in the year 2011 according to the census conducted on that year.  It was also ascertained that of its total population, females form the 51% while males form the remaining 49%.  Residents of Auchenflower reflected a median age of 30 years old which is actually below the average Australian by 7 years.     

  • Income ($/weekly): Weekly individual income in Auchenflower around the time of the census conducted shows a median of $860.  An average household comes with a median income of $1,795 per week.  
  • Employment: There is only 4.9% of unemployment rate in this particular suburb.  The labour force in this area holds employment with about 60.6% of them holding full-time positions while the other 29.8% comes with part-time employments.    
  • Lifestyles and People (top 5): Residents in Auchenflower come with a diverse lifestyle given that this suburb has a mixed age group for its populace.  The top 5 lifestyle categories of people in Auchenflower are: Independent Youth – 32.3% ; Maturing & Established Independence – 14.8%; Older Couples & Families – 10.1%; Established Couples & Families – 9.9%; Older Independence – 9.6%   


There are two main roads in the suburb of Auchenflower by which most bus routes run through and these are Coronation Drive and Milton Road.  Western bus routes are operated by the Brisbane Transport.  Those who love to be in communion with nature and do some cycling around and about Auchenflower, the ‘Bicentennial Bikeway’ running along the Brisbane River is a most welcoming route.  This could take you even through Toowong.  Going by train is also feasible when you are in Auchenflower with its railway station being the second station on the Ipswich line at the west side of the Roma Street railway station.      


A suburb like Auchenflower is not short of educational institutions being made available for its residents.  Although not all of the options are within the area, you are sure to find it easily accessible.  There is the Milton State School serving students from Prep to Year 7.  It is a medium sized primary school with about 600 students.  Another good option is the day and boarding school for boys which is the Brisbane Boys’ College located in Toowong.  For those looking for an institution where they can follow through with their non-compulsory education, there is the Hubbard’s School.      


Living in Auchenflower will give you not only easy access to several amenities but it also enables you to enjoy diverse activities.  Local sport and recreation facilities are found in the ever-famous Suncorp Stadium.  If you are into skating, you can also find skating rinks at McIlwraith Croquet Club.  For those who love shopping there are several fashionable retail precincts in the area of Auchenflower.