The suburb of Aspley is about 13 kilometres north of Brisbane’s Central Business District (CBD).  Driving from the CBD is rather easy for anyone as it only takes about half an hour to do so – quite a charmer for anyone interested in accessibility.  With hills surrounding its eastern and western sections, Aspley is a suburb that lies on flat ground.  

In the year 1842, free settlement started in the area of Brisbane and so exploration of the likes of Aspley also began.  The aboriginals began what became their route going in and out of this suburb which people later learned to call as the “Old Northern Road”.  Afterwards some more aboriginal tracks came to be branching eastward from this road.  These became known as the ‘Albany Creek Road’ and the ‘Gympie Road’.  


The population in Aspley according to the census conducted in 2011 totalled to 12,594.  Of the total population, the females have a percentage rate of 52.4% while the remaining 47.6% belong to the male populace.  The median or average age for this suburb’s residents recorded in 2011 is 40 years old.    

  • Income ($/weekly):  On a weekly basis, an individual living in Aspley has a median income of $659 while the average household has a median income of $1,371 in 2011.   
  • Employment:  This particular suburb comes with an unemployment rate of 4.8% as per data gathered in the 2011 census.  There is a recorded 61.2% full-time workers around this time and about 28.0% of those with employment hold a part-time work.   
  • Lifestyles and People (top 5):  The lifestyles of the residents of Aspley come with the following percentages – Older Couples & Families are about 21.3%; Elderly Singles are 13.6%; Established Couples & Families are 13.2%; Maturing Couples & Families are 11.1%; and those with Older Independence are  9.5%.  

It is not much of a challenge to look for public transport when you are around the area of Aspley because this suburb belongs in the Zone 4 of the TransLink Integrated Public Transport System.  If you know where the Hypermarket Shopping Centre is then you are sure to find Aspley Bus Station.  Bus routes are available for commuters several times in a day.   

In 2008, commuters gained more access to public transport with the introduction of ‘MaxiTaxi’.  The Black & White transport service is what people came to know as Personalized Public Transport.  Every 20 minutes or so, commuters can catch one at the Hypermarket.  
Aspley had its first school in 1890 which was the Little Cabbage Tree Creek School.  This served as school for the children of its residents until in 1963 when another one opened.  It was Aspley State School, originally known as the Zillmere State School.  The growing needs for educational institutions of the residents of Aspley opened the door to another school by which later became one of the largest and most popular in the northern area of Brisbane – the Aspley East State School.  St. Dympna’s and Craigslea State School are also other good options for education in Aspley.            


The Aspley Hypermarket is perhaps the most popular landmark one will ever find in this suburb.  It was originally built by ‘Pick ‘n Play’ which was a South African company.  In 2012, a large-scale retail outlet in Aspley permanently closed and so giving way to Kmart which took its place.  It is in that same year that the first Coles superstore in Queensland opened to cater to the residents’ needs.  You are also likely to find several sidewalk shops especially in the area of Gympie Road.  In 2008, Robinson Road welcomed the establishment of the Aspley Village Shopping Centre.  

Aspley is also home to the Australian Football Club, the Aspley Hornets which you will find in Graham Road.  Also, they have the Aspley Devils Rugby League Club located at Kirby Road.